Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,784 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
R. Cragg and Sons, Dock Head, Middlesbrough, shipbuilder and repairers
Based on the South bank of the Tees, this yard built tramps, coasters and tugs.
1825 Robert Craggs had been involved in ship repairs at Stockton from 1825 and moved into shipbuilding there.
1832 The business of ship builders and repairers was founded at Tees Dockyard. Middlesbrough
1865 Shown as 'Craggs and Sons, Steam Marble Works, Newcastle'
1866 Opened another yard at Middlesbrough.
1872 Shipbuilders and timber merchants; repairers of timber and iron vessels; patent slipways capable of taking up vessels of large size.
1875 The first iron ship was made by the (Middlesbrough?) yard in January.
1876 Only two ships were built this year.
Three others were made up to 1882.
1885 The yard was closed in July in order to modernise its facilities for steel shipbuilding. The yard focussed on tramps and steamers from here on in.
1900s The yard made a number of large tramps utilising its new facilities.
1908 The first Isherwood system vessel was built at the yard and launched in August as Paul Paix. (Sir Joseph Isherwood was a director of the yard.) In the year from 1907-08, eleven ships were built.
1909 The freight slump led to the yard closing down with the last ship, Conrad Mohr, completed in July. The yard was then demolished.