Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,831 pages of information and 228,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Metropolitan Board of Works purchased the old wooden bridge in 1879, discontinued the tolls in 1880, and set about its replacement.
The new bridge was designed by civil engineer Sir Joseph Bazalgette as a five-span structure, built of stone and Cornish granite.
The bridge was constructed by John Waddell of Edinburgh, whose tender of £240,433 was accepted on 15 April 1882. It is some 700 ft long and 43 ft wide, and was opened by the Prince (later King Edward VII) and Princess of Wales on 29 May 1886.
1886 The new stone bridge was opened and still stands today.