Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 131,560 pages of information and 209,038 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Premier Works, Coventry
1891 September. Company wound up. 'The Premier Cycle Company Limited....Resolution was duly confirmed, viz.:— "That the Company be wound up voluntarily under the provisions of the Companies Acts, 1862 and 1867." And at such last mentioned Meeting Stephen Herbert Norton, of Coventry, was appointed Liquidator...' T. W. Hargeaves is Chairman.
1893 Production plant also at Nuremberg and Egger to serve markets outside UK.
1896 The cycle boom was at its peak, with improved road surfaces and the introduction of the pneumatic tyre. Employment in the industry almost quadrupled, to 30,000. It was reported that "agents hurried from factory to factory, cash in hand, pleased if they could secure even a couple of machines".
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles as New Premier Cycle Co. Limited, of Premier Works. 
1902 The original title of Premier Cycle Co was reverted to.
1912 Listed in Spennell's directory of Coventry as Cycle Manufacturers. 
1912-1913 Advertised a car
1913 The German operation went into receivership and the Japanese operation was in trouble. 
1915 Further losses mainly due to operation in Japan. 
1914 Changed the name to Coventry Premier Ltd
1920 Company acquired by Singer.
Premier Cycle Co in Nuremberg, Germany
At the same time they start building their own bicycle plant in Nuremberg-Doos. (Doos at that time was a little village west of Nuremberg which was suburbanized to Nuremberg in 1899).
|Year||No of bicycles||No of workers|
1911, Sep. H., H. & C., meanwhile The Premier Cycle Co. Ltd. Nuremberg, merge with "Nürnberger Feuerlöschgeräte und Maschinenfabrik vorm. Justus Christian Braun" (Nuremberg Fire Extinguishing Devices- and Machine Works former Justus Christian Braun) in order to start a joint automobile production. The company name is changed to "Justus Christian Braun - Premier-Werke Aktien-gesellschaft." (Aktiengesellschaft means public company)
1913, Aug. "Justus Christian Braun - Premier-Werke AG." is in liquidation.
Premier motorcycles were produced from 1908 to 1920 in Coventry.
1908 The first Premier motorcycle was produced, with a White and Poppe side valve engine and Chater-Lea front forks.
1909 By now they were building their own version of the engine and their own design of forks replaced the original Chater-Lea. They took an injunction against Premier Motor Co over the use of the name Premo
1909 The company made their first V-twin.
1910 Company made a 499cc single cylinder machine.
1910 The single was joined by a 3.75hp V-twin that had horizontal cooling fins and a crankshaft that allowed both pistons to move together despite its angle. Late in the year, a completely new 3.75hp V-twin engine was announced, and this had cylinders set at 45 degrees and kept the horizontal cooling fins. A two-speed gear was available.
1911 A 2hp lightweight model joined the range. It had its engine mounted inclined in a loop frame above the pedals. It had a rear-mounted Bosch magneto, belt drive and Druid forks. Later, a 2.5hp single was added.
1912 Premier Cycle Co listed at Hertford St. and Lincoln St (Tel. 796), Read St (Tel. 514), Coventry and as manufacturers of motorcycles.
1912 The range now included a 3.5hp ladies' model with open frame.
1913 They produced a 499cc side-valve 3-speed machine, and brought in a two-speed gearbox and Druid forks for the 3.5hp single. In came a new V-twin with increased power and out went the 2hp model.
1914 A new model was announced, but few were built. It had a 2.75hp in-line, twin-cylinder, two-stroke, over-square engine of 322cc, mounted in a duplex frame.
1914 The company produced a range of motorcycles
1915-1916 The range was still listed.
After the First World War the company did not resume production of motorcycles
Post-WWI. The company concentrated on a three-wheel Runabout.
Premier motorcycles continued to be produced under licence in Czechoslovakia throughout the 1930s.
1912-1913 Advertised the Premier Cycle Car with "all the comforts of the motor car at the cost of motorcycling".