Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,429 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Two power stations were built at Portishead on the Severn Estuary, west of Bristol.
Portishead A Power Station
1927 Construction work began under the Bristol Corporation Electricity Department
1929 Generators of 40 MW were commissioned.
1949 The station was completed, under the British Electricity Authority, with an installed capacity of 248.15 MW.
Portishead B Power Station
1956 Equipment commissioned. Consulting engineers were Sir William Halcrow and Partners. Main civil engineering contractors were C. Brand and Son, William Arrol and Co and J. Laing and Sons. Turbine-generator plant by Metropolitan-Vickers, pulverised fuel-fired boilers by Mitchell Engineering Co.
'B' Station was demolished in 1982.
In the mid 1950s Albright and Wilson built a new factory producing phosphorous and related products, taking advantage of low cost electricity.
The power station site, occupying one side of Portishead Dock, and the industrial site occupying the other side, were subsequently cleared and are now used for houses and flats, while the dock is now a marina.