Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,969 pages of information and 229,026 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1821 The Poplar Gas Light Co. built works in Back Lane, Poplar
From 1840 to 1849 the Poplar works were operated on a commission basis by F.J. Evans.
1841 The Poplar Company built a small works at West Ferry Road in Millwall to supply the Isle of Dogs (closed by the Commercial Gas Co in 1855).
1850 the Commercial Gas Co took over the Poplar Company. They closed the works and removed it in 1852.