Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,769 pages of information and 213,810 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1828 First built as a series of reservoirs by the West India Dock Co
Poplar Dock was converted into a railway dock, in the days before any of London's enclosed dock systems were connected to the railway network, by the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway Co (later the North London Railway Company). The line from the dock connected to the company's goods yard at Chalk Farm.
Did not have a direct connection to the River Thames so its operators needed the agreement of the owners of the West India Docks for uses which did not compete directly with their interests. In its early years the dock was used mainly to import coal from the Northeast of England.
1909 Alone among the docks, the Poplar Dock remained outside the control of the Port of London Authority
1981 Remained in the ownership of British Rail until closure in 1981.
Much of the dock survives today as a mooring connected to Blackwall Basin.
Blackwall Yard, a little to the east of Poplar Dock, also had a small railway dock known as Poplar Dock.