Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,348 pages of information and 230,029 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Pope-Toledo was one of the makes of the Pope Motor Car Co
The 1903 Pope-Toledo was a four wheel, front engined, two seater open car. It was powered by a straight 3 cylinder 182 cubic inch (2,983cc) engine with the then unusual feature of a detachable cylinder head. Valve operation was mechanical and the engine speed was governed at 600 RPM. Drive was through a 3 speed gearbox with chains to each rear wheel. The chassis was mainly wood with a steel sub-frame carrying the main mechanical components. The car had a wheelbase of 7 feet 5 inches and a track of 4 feet 8 inches.
The 1904 model was a larger touring car . Equipped with a rear entrance tonneau body, it could seat 5 passengers and sold for USD3,500. The vertically-mounted water-cooled straight-4, situated at the front of the car, produced 24hp. A 3-speed sliding transmission was fitted. The channel steel-framed car weighed 2,350lb (1066kg). This modern Système Panhard car had spark and throttle levers on steering wheel, a novelty at the time.
By 1907 the company models included limousines and seven seat cars.