Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,385 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 22 Great Winchester Street, London
1819 July. Authorised by 59 Geo. III., c. 115, of July 2nd, 1819. The railway ran from Bachelor's Hall, west of Princetown and "at no great distance from the prison erected for the reception of prisoners of war on Dartmoor," to Crabtree in the parish of Egg Buckland, ie. to Laira. 
1820 By I Geo. IV., c. 54, of July 8th, 1820, an extension to Sutton Pool was sanctioned. Incidentally, this addition carried the line to the south of the path later taken by the South Devon Railway, and the latter crossed the Dartmoor line on the level. 
1821 December. Legal dispute over land required from Addis Archer for the 'Dartmor Railway Company'. 
1822 May 4th. Meeting calling for payments from subscribers. William Burt is Clerk. 
1822 June 15th. Meeting calling for payments from subscribers. 
1823 May 2nd. Meeting calling for payments from subscribers. 
1823 September 19th. Meeting calling for payments from subscribers. 
1823 A single line 23 mile railway opened.   Later the route above Yelverton was taken over by the Princetown Railway and the Marsh Mills to Laira section became part of the South Devon Railway. The rails of the lower end of this line were removed in 1916. 
1865 The company was reorganised and rearranged by Act of Parliament.
1888 In September the Cattewater extension opened for goods traffic.
1892 The Cattewater extension was opened for passenger traffic in August.
1924 The line was now out of use, but, compared with other old railways, was hardly derelict. One very short length-about half a mile remained in actual use, but modernised. It formed a connection between the Great Western Railway and the Lee Moor China Clay Tramway, 6 miles long, which branch is crossed on the level by the Launceston branch of the Great Western Railway. That part of the extension south of the South Devon Railway is now absorbed in the sidings at Laira. Some part of the northern end of the Dartmoor Railway was used in the construction of the Princetown branch of the Great Western.