From Graces Guide
Subsidiaries (at various dates) of N.V. Philips of the Netherlands:
as Philips Industrial X-Ray Service of 145 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2. Branches in Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham. (1936)
as Philips Industrial (Philips Lamps Ltd), of Philips House, 145 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2. Telephone: Gerrard 7777. Telegraphic Address: "Phildustry, Telex, London". (1937)
as Philips Transmission, Philips Lamps, Ltd, of Century House, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2. Telephone: Gerrard 7777. Cables: "Philicom". (1947)
as Philips Electrical Ltd, of Shaftesbury Avenue, London. (1961)
as N. V. Philips, of Emmasingel 6, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
1891 Philips and Co was established in Eindhoven, the Netherlands as a private company making electric lamps
1912 N. V. Philips Gloeilampenfabriken was incorporated in the Netherlands as successor to Philips and Co.
1922 By the time that Gerard Philips retired, the company had grown into a world-wide enterprise
1925 Private company formed as Philips Lamps Limited.
1937 British Industries Fair Advert as Philips Industrial (Philips Lamps Ltd) for Arc Welding Plant and Rods. Condensers for Power Factor. Rectifiers. Sample Welds. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand No. Cb.912) 
1937 As Philips Industrial (Philips Lamps Ltd). Lamp and radio manufacturers. Metalix X-Rays. Philips Lamps, Radio, Rectifiers etc. 
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair - as Philips Transmission, Philips Lamps, Ltd. Manufacturers of Fixed and Mobile Radio Communications Equipment, Navigational Aids and Facsimile for Ships, Aircraft, Police Forces and Railways. Line Communication by Carrier on Cable, Open Wire and/or Radio Links. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. C.1536a) 
1961 As Philips Electrical Ltd. Manufacturers of electrical apparatus, radio, television, record players, tape recorders, lamps and lighting fittings, domestic appliances and amplifying and cinema equipment. 
- M. E. L. Equipment Co Ltd
- Mullard Ltd
- Mullard Research Laboratory
- Philips Electrical Ltd
- Ada (Halifax) Ltd
Philips introduced the first combination portable radio and cassette recorder, which was marketed as the "radiorecorder", and is now better known as the boom box. Later, the cassette was used in telephone answering machines, including a special form of cassette where the tape was wound on an endless loop. The C-cassette was used as the first mass storage device for early personal computers in the 1970s and 1980s.
In 1972 Philips launched the world's first home video cassette recorder, in the UK, the N1500. Its relatively bulky video cassettes could record 30 minutes or 45 minutes. Later one-hour tapes were also offered.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Jun 02, 1969
- The Times, Jan 30, 1911
- The History of N. V. Philips' Gloeilampenfabrieken: Volume 2, By A. Heerding
-  Image courtesy of Aviation Ancestry
- 1937 British Industries Fair Advert p584; and p401
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
- 1947 British Industries Fair p217
-  History World
- 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE
- The Times, Feb 18, 1967
- The Times, Jul 01, 1968
- The Times, Feb 12, 1968
- The Times, Jan 15, 1969
- The Times, Jun 02, 1969
- The Engineer 1974/04/18
- The Times, Dec 14, 1976
- The Engineer 1981/02/26