Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,696 pages of information and 217,234 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Philip Quizano Henriques (c1884-1940)
Probably the son of Cecil Quixano Henriques
1941 Obituary 
PHILIP QUIXANO HENRIQUES, whose death occurred in Melbourne on 22nd October 1940 in his fifty-fifth year, was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1907 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1912 and to Membership in 1932; he was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He was educated at Elstree and Harrow and received his technical education at Crewe Mechanics' Institute and Liverpool University. After serving a three years' apprenticeship, terminating in 1906, in the Crewe works of the London and North Western Railway, he joined Messrs. John H. Wilson and Company, Ltd., with whom he gained experience in the erection and design of steam and electric cranes, excavators, and ships' deck machinery. He also visited some of the principal engineering works of the United States and Canada.
From 1910 until the outbreak of war in 1914 he was manager of Messrs. Wilson's Birkenhead works, and after service with the Royal Engineers in Gallipoli and France, he returned to that position in 1919. He was appointed a director in 1921 and became a representative on the technical side three years later. In 1925 he accepted an appointment with the Asiatic Petroleum Company, Ltd., in connection with the development of the bulk oil trade in Australia and New Zealand, and after being engaged for a short period at the principal refinery and works of Shell-Mex, Ltd., he went to Australia, to join the Shell Company of Australia, Ltd., as executive engineer and assistant to the chief engineer at the head office in Melbourne.
He prepared the main scheme and estimates for the development of bulk oil transport facilities in New Zealand; the scheme comprised eight waterside and eighteen inland rail depots. On the completion of that contract in 1926, he supervised the construction of a number of upcountry depots in all the Australian States. After five months' leave to England, he returned to Melbourne in 1931 and superintended the work of the main oil storage plants at Sydney and Newcastle, and he also took charge of the refinery at Clyde, New South Wales. He was then promoted to be senior executive engineer and deputy chief engineer, and retained that appointment until 1938.
At the time of his death, he was one of the chief engineers to the Australian Air Ministry.