Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Philip Morris Pritchard (1872-1914) of the United Alkali Co
1914 Obituary 
PHILIP MORRIS PRITCHARD was born at Rock Ferry, Cheshire, on 29th April 1872.
He was educated at the Royal Grammar School, Lancaster, and King's College, London, where he obtained the diploma of A.K.C.
In 1891 he began an apprenticeship of four years with Messrs. R. and W. Hawthorn, Leslie and Co., of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and for two years during this period he took the Engineering Course at the Durham College of Science.
In June 1895 he became assistant works manager at the Hebburn Works of the United Alkali Co., and seven months later he was appointed an assistant on the staff of Mr. E. J. Duff, chief engineer of the company at Widnes, where he was engaged in carrying out the construction of new plant, coke ovens, superphosphate plant, etc.
In November 1903 he was appointed chief engineer of the company, which post he held until his death. While in charge of the engineering department of the United Alkali Co., he was engaged in the erection of much new plant in the English and American works of the company, and carried out valuable work in their Spanish mines.
His death took place at West Kirby, on 8th July 1914, at the age of forty-two.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1909; he was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, an Associate Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a Member of the Liverpool Engineering Society.
1914 Obituary 
PHILIP MORRIS PRITCHARD, born in London on the 29th April, 1872, died at Widnes on the 8th July, 1914.
Trained under Messrs. R. and W. Hawthorn and Company, Newcastle-on-Tyne, he was later employed as Assistant Works Manager at the Tennant works of the United Alkali Company.
In 1896 he was appointed Assistant to the Chief Engineer of the Company at Widnes, and eventually in 1903 became Chief Engineer, a position which he held up to the time of his death. During this period he designed and erected new plant in the English and American factories, and did valuable work in the Spanish mines.
Mr. Pritchard was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 6th December, 1898.