Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,427 pages of information and 211,664 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Philip Barry (1832-1895)
1896 Obituary 
PHILIP BARRY, M.E., born in 1832, was educated at Queen’s College, Cork.
In 1859 he obtained the engineering diploma of the Queen’s University, Dublin, at which he took the degree of B.E. in 1871. On the dissolution of the University in 1882 the degree of M.E., honoris causa, was conferred upon him.
Mr. Barry gained his first practical experience in 1858-59 on the construction of the Mallow and Fermoy Railway, and from 1860 to 1866 he was employed as resident engineer, for the late J. P. Ronayne, on the construction of the Queenstown and the Cork and Macroom lines.
He then practised on his own account in Cork for seven years, during part of which time he carried out important works for the Gas Consumers’ Company of that city.
In May, 1873, he was appointed engineer to the Cork Harbour Commissioners, which post he held for upwards of twenty-two years. At the date of his appointment there was urgent necessity for better accommodation for vessels, the depth at the old quays being only 7 feet at low water. To meet this necessity with the least possible delay a timber wharf was constructed in front of the Victoria Quay, 1,024 feet in length, projecting 20 feet outside the quay wall. This projection enabled the river to be dredged without endangering the quay, so as to afford a depth of 19 feet at low water for vessels lying at the wharf. Mr. Barry contributed to the Institution in 1890 an account of this work, of the deep-water quays which were subsequently constructed, and of other improvements to the port carried out under his charge.
Mr. Barry died at his residence, Rosetta, Blackrock, Cork, on the 11th November, 1895.
He was elected an Associate on the 6th April, 1875, and was transferred to the class of Member on the 15th January, 1878.