Peters were motorcycles produced from 1920 to 1925 by J. A. Peters (t/a Peter Motors), an aircraft designer. The company had an address at Ramsey, Isle of Man, but manufacture took place on the mainland.
1920 The machine was first described late that year.
1921 The motorcycle was introduced at the Olympia show and differed from most other lightweights of the period as it had a Peters engine in place of the usual bought-in one, and was fitted with rear suspension. The engine started out at 296cc but soon increased to 346cc, with the cylinder inclined forward and a large flywheel incorporating a variable-gear pulley for the belt drive. The spine frame had a large welded sheet-steel assembly that included petrol and oil tanks and steering head.
Little more was heard of Peters for a few years and production was very small.
1922 Description of a Front-Wheel-Driven Monocar.
1925 All-chain drive was an option on all models and a new one was launched. This had a 348cc sv Blackburne engine coupled to a three-speed Jardine gearbox. Nothing further came of Peters and they disappeared from sight.
Sources of Information
The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X