Percy Nevill (1863-1905)
1906 Obituary 
PERCY NEVILL, son of Mr. John Patmore Nevill, was born at Southampton on the 6th February, 1863.
He was educated at Cranleigh College and the Crystal Palace School of Engineering, and obtained his practical training under Mr. J. N. Shoolbred, studying meanwhile under Professor (now Sir Alexander) Kennedy at University College, London.
In 1881, he became an Assistant Engineer to the Isle of Man Harbour Commissioners, serving successively under Mr. C. R. Walker and Mr. James Walker, until 1897, when he succeeded the latter gentleman in the appointment of Chief Engineer, which position he retained until his death.
He was engaged upon all the principal harbour-works carried out during the 24 years of his service in the Isle of Man, including Port St. Mary breakwater, Peel Inner Harbour works and breakwater, Castletown Harbour improvement and new swing-bridge, Queen’s Pier, Ramsey, Victoria Pier enclosure and extension, Douglas hydraulic swing-bridge, and other works.
His last work was the repair of a breakwater at Douglas called the Battery Pier, in connection with which he devised a very ingenious and practical method of upholding and strengthening the harbour-wall.
Mr. Nevill died on the 10th September, 1905, in his forty-third year.
He took exceptional interest in the training of pupils, and was remarkable alike for his keen perception and sound judgment, and for the unvarying geniality of his disposition.
Mr. Nevill was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1888.