Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Percy Leonard Addison (1855-1906)
son of John Addison
1907 Obituary 
PERCY LEONARD ADDISON died at Park House, Bigrigg, Cumberland, on the 14th Kovember, 1906.
Born at Glasgow on the 25th October, 1855, he was the younger son of the late Mr. John Addison, at that time Resident Engineer on the Caledonian Railway.
He was educated at a private school at Warwick and at Cheltenham College, and was afterwards sent to Berlin and to Cannstadt in Wurttemburg.
Between 1871 and 1874, he obtained his practical training in thee ngineering departments of the Maryport and Carlisle Railway and the London and North Western Railway, and in the latter year he joined the staff of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway as Assistant Resident Engineer.
In 1878 he obtained an appointment as Assistant Engineer on the Eastern Bengal Railway, where he had charge of a division of 60 miles, but was obliged to relinquish the post in 1880, on account of ill-health caused by exposure during the inundations.
On his return to England, he was temporarily employed in the engineer’s office of the Midland Railway, and in 1883 he was appointed to superintend the mines of Messrs. D. and J. Ainsworth, of Cleator, West Cumberland, a position which he held until the summer of 1891, when his health failed him and he was obliged to relinquish the active pursuit of his profession.
From that time until his death he devoted himself to scientific studies and pursuits, especially to geology and astronomy. He was a Fellow of the Geological Society and contributed many able memoirs to various scientific journals.
In 1890 he contributed a "Description of the Cleator Iron Company’s Barytes and Umber Mines and Refining Mills in the Caldbeck Fells" to the Proceedings of The Institution.
Mr. Addison was twice married, first to Miss Grace Constance Ward, of London, in 1883, and secondly, in 1901, to Miss Mary Edene Hugginson, of Romaldkirk, who survives him.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 7th December, 1880.