Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,360 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
No longer extant, this bridge was replaced by the Viaduc de Passy.
The cantilever-arched iron bridge was built in 1877-8 by Cail & Cie for use by visitors to the Exposition Universelle. It crossed the Seine from Grenelle to the Isle de Cygnes, and from the Isle de Cygnes to Passy. The lengths of the two crossings were 295ft 3in and 393ft 8in. Each of the crossings was made with three spans of cantilevered arched lattice girders supported on cast iron piers. The arch of the central span was of circular profile, while the outer spans were parabolic. The central arches were in two halves, with a pinned joint at the centre. See 'Engineering', 1881 for brief description and drawings.
In 1903 the bridge was moved bodily downstream, to allow construction of the new road/rail viaduct in its place. This was carried out with minimal inconvenience to pedestrian users. The footbridge was subsequently demolished on completion of the new viaduct. The bridge moving process was described in 'The Engineer' in 1903