PS Vale of Clwyd
1865 In 1881, the Thames and Channel Steamship Co purchased the Clyde steamer VALE OF CLWYD, and in the following year sold her - with the GLEN ROSA - to the London Steamboat Co, who ran her on the Thames until 1888 under her original name. The VALE OF CLWYD was constructed of wood by T. B. Seath and Co., Rutherglen, in 1865, for the Dunoon and Ayr summer traffic. In the summer of 1877 she was chartered by Campbell and Gillies to run on the Wemyss Bay route, following on from Glasgow to Largs and Millport. The VALE OF CLWYD had machinery of a peculiar type, the engine being a “steeple” in combination with a small diagonal. Dimensions 186.5 by 18.1 by 7. Gross tons 173. N.H.P. 88. Steam supplied by one haystack boiler.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
