PS The Mermaid
1891 Samuda Brothers, Poplar, built for the Victoria Steamboat Association the paddle steamer THE MERMAID. Dimensions: Length 160 ft. by 20.1 by 7.9. Gross tons 194. She had two oscillating cylinders 30 in. diameter by 33 in. stroke. N.H.P. 52. Between the date of her building and the time she was cut up in 1927 this paddler had many changes of ownership.
In 1897 she was transferred to the Thames Steamboat Co and remained with them until 1912 when she was acquired by the Rosherville Pier and Steam Packet Co.
In 1916 THE MERMAID was purchased by the Goole and Hull Steam Packet Co and in the same year was chartered for temporary service by the North Eastern Railway for use on the Humber Ferry Service. After the first world war she made trips during 1919 and 1920 on the Humber being then owned by the Alfred Calvert Shipping Co of Goole.
In 1922, a Mr. Elton of Limerick took over THE MERMAID and ran her between Limerick and Kilrush, a 45 mile run down the river Shannon, but after a few trips she was commandeered by the Irish Free State Army. After release the vessel was laid up for a considerable time until she left for Belfast to run trips on Belfast Lough to Bangor, but this project was unsuccessful and on the 25th November, 1927, THE MERMAID left Belfast for Preston for scrapping by Messrs. Ward the shipbreakers.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
