PS Sons of Commerce
1817 This vessel was constructed at Blackfriars by Lafort and engined by Boulton and Watt to the order of Elias Evans, a shipwright of Frindsbury, Rochester. She was 85 feet in length by 25.25 feet beam, 8 feet in depth and of 77 tons burthen. The engines were of 20 n.h.p. having cylinders 26.75 in by 30 in. The paddle wheels were 10 feet in diameter. The SONS OF COMMERCE ran alternatively with the THAMES on the Gravesend service, and was in service as late as 1828.
On 1st May, 1818, a licence was granted to a Joseph Jones to act as master or chief steersman of this vessel. He was probably the first master to be licensed to navigate a steamship.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
