Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 174,048 pages of information and 250,298 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

PS Showboat

From Graces Guide
PS Showboat at Shoreham in 1933.

1879 Built by Scott and Co


'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt

In the early summer of 1932 another innovation was introduced on the Thames. The novelty was the ex South Coast paddle steamer ALEXANDRA which had been converted to a luxury floating restaurant, dance hall and cabaret, and was advertised as SHOWBOAT. Every evening SHOWBOAT left Westminster Bridge Pier to make a dinner-time cruise down the river. The cruise on the return trip ended at the starting point about 11 p.m. and SHOWBOAT then proceeded up the river to Richmond for a supper cruise.

Although the boat was licensed to carry 600 persons, for the sake of comfort, the number was limited to 200. The experiment, however, was not a success with the London public and she only worked one season on the Thames. In the spring of 1933 SHOWBOAT was towed round to Margate and anchored off the town, brilliantly lighted at night and dancing with a cabaret show was provided. Towards the end of July her venue was again changed and her attractions were offered to the residents of Bungalow Town, Shoreham, the boat being moored in the river Adur where she was easily accessible to holidaymakers at Brighton. With her engines disconnected and her paddle wheels slowly revolving with the tide, the old veteran remained at Shoreham until 26th October, 1934, when she was taken in tow for Grays to be broken up.

The SHOWBOAT was officially named ALEXANDRA, Weymouth being her port of registry. Built in 1879 by Scott and Co, Greenock, to the order of the Portsmouth and Ryde United Steampacket Co. to run between Portsmouth and Ryde. In the year following the Company was taken over jointly by the L.B. & S.C. and the L. & S.W. Rys. Later the joint owners sold the ALEXANDRA to the Bembridge and Seaview Steamship Co.

In 1915, she was purchased by Cosens and Co, Weymouth, but in September of that year was taken over by the Admiralty, renamed ALEXIS and continued in the Government service until February, 1920, when she was sold and subsequently purchased by a London syndicate to become the SHOWBOAT. The ALEXANDRA was a vessel of 235 tons gross, 171 ft. in length by 20.2 by 8.5 and had compound diagonal engines of 153 N.H.P.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information