PS Royal Eagle



1932 Built. 1,538 gross tons. 1,300 I.H.P.
On 24th February, 1932, the ROYAL EAGLE was launched from the yard of Cammell Laird and Co, Birkenhead. This new vessel was built for the Margate-Ramsgate service, and although larger steamers had been on the Thames before none had been more popular and luxuriously fitted. The dining saloons will seat 310 persons, and the vessel can carry a total of 2,000. Although 10 feet shorter than the CRESTED EAGLE, her gross tonnage shews an increase of 400.
The ROYAL EAGLE has several entirely new features. She is the first Thames excursion steamer on which oil is used throughout for cooking, etc. She has a streamlined rudder aft and a bow rudder forward, as it is the practice of these boats to turn at a favourable opportunity on the way up the river at night, finishing the trip stern first. An important feature is the glass-enclosed deck saloon with a spacious sun-deck above, there being four decks altogether.
Before G.S.N. Co finally decided to build a vessel propelled by steam and paddles every other form of power and propulsion was thoroughly examined. Although, generally speaking, the screw has superseded the paddle, the advantages of the latter lay in the much larger deck space available for the free movement of passengers, and also in the greater ease of navigation and manoeuvring in a river crowded with moving barges.
The ROYAL EAGLE, unlike other EAGLES, has two masts, which considerably enhance her appearance. The funnel was originally all cream colour, but in 1938 had a black top added similar to the other EAGLES. The hull was painted white down to the level of the sponsons in 1939. She made her maiden trip on 14th May, 1932. It may be of interest to record that when the ROYAL EAGLE was launched a bottle of whisky was used and it is believed to have been the first occasion on which a vessel was named with whisky.
ROYAL EAGLE attended the Naval Reviews at Spithead in 1935 and 1937 and the maiden voyage departure of the Cunard White Star liner QUEEN MARY on the 27th May, 1936, on all three occasions operating from Southampton, and whilst there also made a cruise round the Isle of Wight. In 1946 the ROYAL EAGLE resumed the Kent Coast passenger service and in that year and the following season terminated at Margate.
A feature common to all the EAGLES was that the bridge was situated abaft the funnel, although an unusual practice these days this was done to assist stern-first navigation in the Thames above Greenwich.
When the second World War broke out, the ROYAL EAGLE became H.M. anti-aircraft vessel ROYAL EAGLE. In May, 1940, this famous vessel took part in the Dunkirk evacuation, and in the following November she shot down a dive-bomber during an attack on shipping in the Thames Estuary. The Royal Eagle made three trips to Dunkirk, was dive-bombed 43 times and brought home 3,000 soldiers
ROYAL EAGLE’S WAR RECORD - The following particulars are taken from The Daily Telegraph dated 1st August, 1943: —
- Nights at sea: 520
- Days at sea: 132
- Mileage: 25,000
- Actions against aircraft: 52
- Planes destroyed: 2
- Lives saved: 24
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
