PS Royal Daffodil (1906)
1906 Built by Robert Stephenson and Co
Steamers of the Thames and Medway by Frank Burtt
The ROYAL DAFFODIL was purchased by the N.M.S.P. Co. from the Borough of Wallasey in 1934. This little twin-screw vessel (originally named DAFFODIL) that plied between Liverpool and Birkenhead, played a very prominent part at Zeebrugge on 23rd April, 1918. H.M.S. VINDICTIVE had been selected as the spearhead of the attack on the Mole, having the DAFFODIL and her sister boat IRIS in attendance, all three carrying landing parties. On arrival, it was found that the VINDICTIVE, on account of the heavy swell, had the greatest difficulty in coming alongside and in grappling the Mole to allow of the disembarkation of the landing parties. The DAFFODIL, following close astern, came up and in the most gallant manner placed her bow against the VINDICTIVE and pushed her sideways until she was in correct position alongside. If it had not been for the continued pressure by the DAFFODIL towards the wall of the Mole throughout the operation, the return of the landing parties would have been impossible. The signal for the re-embarkation of the landing parties was given by the DAFFODIL’S syren, as the syren and searchlight of the VINDICTIVE had been shot away. The signal was made at 12.50 a.m., and had to be repeated many times on account of the excessive noise of the guns.
The whole action was one of those epic achievements which will live throughout the ages, and will ever redound to the glory of the little DAFFODIL, did she - together with the IRIS - shared with the VINDICTIVE the honours and ardours of the fight. The King commanded that for the rest of her career she should be known as ROYAL DAFFODIL. A metal plaque was affixed on board to commemorate the occasion. On her funnel and upperworks were to be seen the marks of the shrapnel which struck her during that historic engagement.
In normal service the ROYAL DAFFODIL worked between Strood and Sheerness. She was built in 1906 by Robert Stephenson & Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne, and was of the following dimensions: 152.i ft. by 40.6 by 11.2; Gross registered tonnage 465. She was propelled by two sets of triple-expansion engines by W. Rollo & Sons, Liverpool. Cylinders, 16-in., 24-in. and 41-in. by 41-in.
In April, 1938, the ROYAL DAFFODIL was bought by Van Heyghen Freres of Ghent, for about £1,000 and was broken up in Belgium. She therefore ended her days in the country where she earned her fame. Shortly before her withdrawal, she was under charter to the Port of London Authority and was used for cruises round the London Docks.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
