Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 174,047 pages of information and 250,298 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

PS Queen of Kent

From Graces Guide
PS Queen of Kent.

1916 Built by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Co of Troon. 235.2 ft. by 29.1 by 9.2; Gross tons 798; I.H.P. 1,600


Steamers of the Thames and Medway by Frank Burtt

In 1927, the New Medway Steam Packet Co purchased two very handsome ex-minesweepers of the "Ascot" or race-course class, the MELTON and the ATHERSTONE. The MELTON had originally been sold to Messrs. Hughes and Bolckow, shipbreakers, when the great naval scrapping programme was in force. The MELTON was re-named QUEEN OF THANET and the ATHERSTONE became QUEEN OF KENT. Their normal services were from Chatham, Southend, Margate to Calais, Boulogne or Dunkirk. In 1930, a regular service was run to Dover, but that does not appear to have come up to expectations, for it was not repeated in the following year. Commencing in the 1933 season, on every Wednesday a day trip was made from Clacton to Calais.

These two vessels with their cruiser sterns - which were the first and only paddle boats to have cruiser sterns (excepting of course the other paddle minesweepers of the "Ascot" class) - and the distance apart of their two funnels gave them a conspicuous appearance. Their dimensions were as follows:

Both had compound diagonal engines: Cylinders 26.5 in. and 52 in. by 54 in. Prior to the 1931 season, both were re-conditioned, fitted with new paddle wheels, wireless installation, and equipped for burning oil fuel giving them an increased speed. They were withdrawn from service in September, 1938, but after war duties resumed their former work in 1946 with the main masts removed. In the summer of 1948 the QUEEN OF THANET was running between Ramsgate and Dover. Both vessels were sold in December, 1948, to the Southampton Steam Packet Co., and renamed SOLENT QUEEN and LORNA DOONE respectively.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information