PS Princess of Wales (1896)
1896 The PRINCESS OF WALES was built by R. Craggs and Sons, Middlesbrough. The engines were made by Jameson and MacColl of Sunderland, and were of compound diagonal type with cylinders 21 in. and 39 in. by 30 in. She was first used to operate the Rochester-Southend service. In June, 1917, she was taken over by the Admiralty, renamed PADUA, and engaged on the Naval Medway Ferry service until released in April, 1920.
In 1925, she was chartered by the Stanley-Butler S.S. Co, Kirkcaldy, and ran on the Firth of Forth. In March, 1927, she sank at her moorings but was raised and in due course returned to the Medway. In 1928, she was sold to Messrs. Ward for breaking-up. The PRINCESS OF WALES was built of steel; dimensions: 139.6 long by 18.1 by 7.5, with a gross tonnage of 163. N.H.P. of engines 65.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
