PS Oriole
1889 Built
G.S.N. Co. Between 1887 and 1889 there appeared the HALCYON, MAVIS, ORIOLE, LAVEROCK and PHILOMEL. These five steamers were of 17 knots, had compound diagonal engines, and were employed on the Kent Coast services and a new service to Great Yarmouth. All five were built by John Scott and Co (of Kinghorn). The first to be launched was the HALCYON, and she ran her trial trip on the Forth on 9th July, 1887. All had saloon decks extending the full width of the vessel and carried for some distance forward of the paddleboxes. Originally they had two masts, but later the main mast was removed, which alteration did not add to their appearance. They had one funnel forward of the bridge. After the rival “ Belle ” steamers went into service, the colour of the G.S.N. excursion steamboats was changed from the standard black to cream or buff. Later a narrow black band was added.
Sold 1912 to Holland and converted into a hulk.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
