PS Lord of the Isles
This vessel was launched on 30th May, 1877, from the Partick yard of D. and W. Henderson and Co. Built of iron, for the Glasgow and Inveraray Steamboat Co it was in dimensions 246 ft. by 24.2 by 9 ft.; gross tonnage 451; and was fitted with diagonal oscillating engines having two cylinders 46 in. diameter by 66 in. stroke; n.h.p. 265. She was one of the most beautiful paddle steamers ever built and was the first excursion steamer to be fitted with electric light. In 1890 she was purchased by the Victoria Steamboat Association and attracted a great deal of attention on her daily trips down the Thames. In fact, it may be claimed that the big improvement in the standard of the London river steamers dates from her arrival.
In 1896, she was transferred to Mrs. C. Black (Mr. B. P. Black, Manager) and renamed JUPITER. She ran from London to Southend and Margate for several seasons. After being laid up for some time she returned to the Clyde in 1904, having been purchased by the Isles Steamship Company, who changed her name once again, this time to LADY OF THE ISLES. She did very little work after her return to her native waters and was cut up at Dumbarton in 1905.
Mr. L. G. Lane, in his publication “Down the River to the Sea,” 1934, says of the LORD OF THE ISLES “In spite of her romantic name this vessel became notorious to the public through her numerous breakdowns. Day excursions on this boat were often night excursions as well, as passengers frequently returned home in the early hours of the next morning. But her greatest achievement was when she collided with London Bridge and smashed both her funnels. Apparently, she had seen the Palace Steamers go under the bridge with impunity and thought she could do the same.”
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
