PS Duke of Edinburgh
1870 Built at Port Glasgow. 123 tons. 70 N.H.P.
In 1875, the Woolwich Steam Packet Co purchased four steamboats from the Clyde; three of these had been built to re-establish a service between Helensburgh and the Gareloch by a company which had gone into liquidation. Built as the CRAIGROWNIE, and renamed the DUKE OF EDINBURGH on coming to the Thames. Built in 1870 by R. Duncan and Co., Port Glasgow, to run in opposition to R. Campbell on the Kilmuir Station, but did not accomplish her object. For a short time she belonged to the Glasgow & South Western Railway. She had oscillating cylinders 28 in. by 44 in., and one haystack boiler.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
