PS Crested Eagle (1938)

1938 Built by John Crown and Sons
A second CRESTED EAGLE now flies the G.S.N. Co. flag, this vessel being the former NEW ROYAL LADY. She was renamed primarily to retain possession of the name CRESTED EAGLE for a possible large Eagle steamer to be built in the near future. The present vessel was built in 1938 by J. Crown and Sons to the order of Mr. J. C. Round for making excursion trips from Scarborough.
In 1947 she was running on the Forth. In 1948 she was purchased by the G.S.N. Co. for making the afternoon cruises from the Tower Pier to off Gravesend and alternatively the trips round the London Docks. The CRESTED EAGLE has a length of 144 ft. overall by 25.2 ft. by 9 ft. Mean loaded draft 5 ft. 4 in. Gross tonnage 248. Speed 13 knots. Motive power: Twin screw Diesel engines of 330 b.h.p. Passenger accommodation: 672.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
