PS Cleopatria (1898)
In 1898 a new concern, the Thames Steamboat Co, took over the old Victoria Association fleet, and they immediately ordered three new boats. They were ALEXANDRA, BOADICEA and CLEOPATRIA the only new boats this company ever ordered and were the last new boats put on “above bridge” services for many years. They were built of steel, had a loaded draught of 3 ft. Tonnage: gross 111, net 70. Main deck flush with saloons below. Speed 10 knots. Fuel consumption 8 cwt. per hour. Bunker capacity 10 tons. Two oscillating cylinders 23 in. by 24 in. working at 50 lb. pressure. These three boats were built and engined by the Thames Iron Works, Blackwall. They continued in service until 1912 when the company ceased operating. Subsequently CLEOPATRA ran for a time on Belfast Lough, later on the North East Coast and finally on the Tay at Dundee.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
