PS Clacton Queen
1897 Built by Day, Summers and Co
Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
The CLACTON QUEEN was purchased (by the New Medway Steam Packet Co) in November 1933, from the Southern Railway Co. She was built in 1897, by Day, Summers and Co, Southampton, to the joint order of the L.B. & S.C. and the L. & S.W. Rys., for the Portsmouth-Ryde service. Her chief dimensions were: 195.4 by 26.1 by 9.0; Gross tonnage 399; compound diagonal engines with cylinders 32-in. and 59-in. by 60-in.; N.H.P. 225. In 1934, her original name DUCHESS OF KENT was changed to CLACTON QUEEN.
This steamer, although built for smooth water between the mainland and the Isle of Wight, was quite capable of holding her own in a bad sea when occasion arose. To give an instance, on 10th August, 1934, she set out from Clacton for a trip to Chatham, having on board 800 passengers. On the return journey she had to face a rough sea for ten hours. When she arrived off Clacton at 10.0 p.m., the sea was so rough that the captain thought it prudent to stand out to sea rather than try to disembark his passengers at the pier head. At 1.30 a.m. the next morning the CLACTON QUEEN had not arrived, although her lights could be seen from the shore, so the lifeboat put out and stood by for some time. Later as the gale subsided, an attempt to land the passengers proved successful.
In November, 1935, the CLACTON QUEEN was sold to a new Company designated the Mersey and Blackpool Shipping Co, Liverpool. It was the intention of the new owners to run a daily service between Liverpool and Blackpool, calling en route at New Brighton. The Steamer’s name was changed to JUBILEE QUEEN, and the funnel painted buff with a black top and red band.
The Company was soon in difficulties, and the steamer again changed hands, the new owners being The Jubilee Queen Shipping Company. Commencing in August, 1936, the JUBILEE QUEEN inaugurated a new service between Barrow’, Fleetwood and Blackpool. The red band round the funnel was removed. In May, 1937, she was sold to Messrs. Ward for and cut up at Preston.
See Also
Sources of Information
- 'Steamers of the Thames and Medway' by Frank Burtt
