Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 174,010 pages of information and 250,208 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

PS Bessemer

From Graces Guide
PS Bessemer.
PS Bessemer Deck.
1872. Working Model of The Bessemer Ship Saloon.
1874. Section of suspended saloon.
1875.
PS Bessemer Saloon.
1929.

The Paddle Steamer Bessemer was a bizarre experimental passenger steamer.

1874 The Bessemer was built to demonstrate a concept propounded by Henry Bessemer, namely a ship where the saloon would be kept steady in all weathers. The original idea was to have it controlled by hand, but later it was decided to use a gyroscope. The ship was designed by Edward James Reed and constructed at Earle's yard in Hull.

1876 Advert: 'BESSEMER. For Sale, Hydraulic Engines and machinery in connection with saloon and steering gear; also one capstan, one set of cat and fish davits, and sundry other articles, on board steamer now lying in Albert Dock, Hull.— May be seen applying to Baltic Engine Works, Hull.'[1].

Later John Macfarlane Gray demolished the underlying theory of using a gyroscope in a ship in this way.

1930 'THE CROSS-CHANNEL STEAMER" "BESSEMER," "CASTALIA AND "CALAIS-DOUVRES.” ...... The second vessel, Bessemer was launched at Hull while the Castalia was doing her trials. Built by Messrs. Earle's for the Bessemer Saloon Steamship Company, she was designed by Reed to try out the project of Bessemer for a swinging saloon. Like the other vessels, constructed of iron, she was 350 ft. long, 40 ft. wide, and in appearance was something like the old low-ended turret warships, her bow and stern having only 3 ft. freeboard. The large superstructure amidships housed the saloon, 70 ft. long, 30 ft. wide, and 20 ft. high, weighing 180 tons. This immense structure was supported on trunnions, and controlled by hydraulic apparatus in charge of an attendant who, by the exercise of hand and eye, was supposed to keep the saloon level, although the vessel was rolling. Of the saloon, its elaborate decoration and the hydraulic apparatus we gave a full description, and it may interest some to know that it now forms the lecture room of the Swanley Horticultural College for Women, which occupies the house Reed lived in. It is illustrated in its present condition on the opposite page. As the superstructure took up the greater part of the middle length of the vessel, two pairs of paddle wheels were used, one forward, one aft, 106 ft. apart, the engines being of the oscillating type. On the way south from Hull the Bessemer is said to have attained a speed of 16 knots. Her first trip across the Channel took place May 8, 1875, and terminated with her demolishing a great part of the western pier at the entrance to Calais harbour. One or two other voyages were made, but she proved a most refractory vessel, and on May 26, 1876. recorded her sale for 20,000l., her original cost having been 200,000l.'[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Liverpool Daily Post - Wednesday 26 July 1876
  2. Engineering 1930/01/24