Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,033 pages of information and 231,556 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Woolston, Southampton
The yard was opened in 1876 by Thomas Ridley Oswald, a Sunderland shipbuilder.
The first ship built there was the 191 ft. barque Aberfoyle, constructed with frames which had been bent to shape in Sunderland.
1877 Became Oswald, Mordaunt and Co.
Established a reputation for building large iron bulk-carrying sailing ships, some of which were very long-lived. The Monterey, for example, was built in 1878 and was sold to the breakers after 56 years service. Their largest vessel was a steamship, Bitterne, of 9250 tons displacement.
1889 The Ville de Dieppe, a steel and iron oil tanker, was the last ship built before T. R. Oswald moved on to Milford Haven.
104 ships were built in a period of 13 years.
The yard was taken over by the Southampton Naval Works Co.