Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,464 pages of information and 233,889 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1906 the Osram incandescent lamp was developed; its name was formed from the German words OSmium, from the element osmium, and WolfRAM, from the element tungsten (called Wolfram in many languages and an alternative name in English).
The OSRAM trademark was first registered in Britain by Auer in April 1906, one month after it was registered in Germany, as a way of marketing its new form of lighting filament.
In October 1907 the Wolfram (Tungsten) Metal Filament Lamp Works Ltd was founded as a joint venture between Auer, GEC and Just & Hanaman. The rights to the OSRAM trademark in Britain were transferred to the new company, which then changed its name to the OSRAM Lamp Works Ltd.
1908 Advertisement for Osram lamps by GEC 
1909 Factory at Hammersmith completed; quality of the product as good as that from the Continent
1911 The Deutschen Gasgluhlicht AG (Berlin), which manufactured the Osram lamp in Germany and is "considerably interested" in the Osram works in London and Paris, made an offer for the Welsbach Incandescent Gas Light Co
1912 GEC's investments included the Lamp Works at Hammersmith, one of a number of enterprises which was directed or controlled by GEC.
WWI: installed 2 new regenerative gas-furnaces to increase the capacity substantially.
1915 The large German shareholding in the Osram Lamp Works Ltd had provoked negative press treatment. Hugo Hirst, the Chairman of GEC, told the company meeting of GEC that a way had been found that would give future control of the works into British hands, he trusted for ever. Osram Lamp Works, Robertson Lamp Works and Lemington Glass works were amalgamated by GEC.
1917 GEC was part owner of the Osram-Robertson Lamp Works and had managed the Works since opening. Purchased further shares in Osram-Robertson Lamp Works Ltd .
1919 GEC took over Osram in Britain, including the Osram-Robertson Lamp Works.
1919 Although the three German lighting manufacturers merged to form OSRAM GmBH, they could not use this trademark in Britain, instead using the name WOTAN.
1919 The first laboratory was set up at the valve works at Hammersmith based on Paterson's design. The laboratories would now cover all of GEC.
In 1920, Auergesellschaft, Siemens & Halske, and Allgemeine Elektrizitäts-Gesellschaft (AEG) combined their electric lamp production with the formation of the German company Osram (which is now part of Siemens AG).
1921 Osram GEC Lamp Works at Hammersmith.
Post-WWII OSRAM GmBH attempted to regain control of its trademark in Britain, but these negotiations were unsuccessful.
1962 GEC formed OSRAM General Electric Company Ltd to manufacture commercial, industrial, domestic and street lighting.
1986 Helmut Plettner was able to announce that GEC and OSRAM GmbH had entered into a joint undertaking, OSRAM-GEC Limited. Not only did this return the rights of the trademark to the German company but it also allowed the considerable technological innovations of the company to be exploited in the British market.