Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,749 pages of information and 199,758 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Olympic were motorcycles produced from 1902 to 1905 and from 1919 to 1923, in Granville Street, Wolverhampton.
1880s Frank H. Parkyn had been making Olympic cycles at Granville Street
1903 The first conventional motorcycles appeared, powered by 2.75hp MMC engines. Few machines were made and production soon stopped.
1919 The name returned, from a base in Granville Street, on a range of good-quality models. The first machine was powered by a Verus 268c.c., two-stroke engine. It had a two-speed gearbox, was fitted with a belt drive, and sold for £80. A selection of engines was used from Villiers, Blackburne, Verus or Orbit. The frame was designed to suit these engines and there was a patent swinging gearbox mounting, which allowed for simple adjustment of the transmission.
1920 The Olympic model for that year was powered by a 2.86hp, 261.5cc, two-stroke engine, and included an Amac carburettor, Gosport spring forks and was finished in black enamel with gold lining. The single speed version sold for £65 and the two-speed version was priced at £77. A two-speed machine with kick start was available for £84 and a three-speed version with kick start cost £90.
1923 As trade dwindled, the make disappeared.