Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,425 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ogden's Tobacco Company was founded by Thomas Ogden in 1860 when he opened a small retail shop in Park Lane, Liverpool.
Within a short time he had established several branches throughout the city and in six years his own factory in St James' Street.
In 1870 additional premises were acquired in Cornwallis Street and by 1890 Ogden's had six factories in Liverpool.
The present factory at Boundary Lane was built in 1899 and all operations were concentrated at this site when it opened in 1901.
1860 Thomas Ogden set up a small tobacco shop in Liverpool's Park Lane. Soon after, he had opened several more branches.
1866 A factory was opened in St. James's Street, Liverpool.
By 1899 all manufacturing was moved to Boundary Lane, Liverpool.
1901 James B. Duke, the owner of the American Tobacco Company bought Ogden's factory for £818,000.
1902 The company was back in British hands after the formation of the Imperial Tobacco Co.