Northampton Electric Light and Power Co
1889 The company was established
1891 Started to supply current from Bridge Street Power Station in Northampton town centre.
1897 the plant had a generating capacity of 425 kW and the maximum load was 182 kW.
1904 the Northampton Corporation planned but failed to purchase the undertaking
1904 An extension order gave the company powers to extend supplies outside the borough.
By 1913 the growth in demand for electricity was such that the company sought to build a new generating station at Hardingstone Junction.
1916 Work on the new station began.
1919 The Hardingstone Junction Generating Station started to generated power. Bridge Street continued to supply dc for some time.
1926-29: a new low pressure plant was installed at Hardingstone Junction
1936-52: An intermediate pressure plant was installed at Hardingstone Junction
By the end of the 1930s the electricity supply arrangements for Northampton were unusual for a large town at the time in that a company (rather than a municipal undertaking) still supplied the electricity.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 10 March 1948
- Wikipedia