Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
One of 3 regional electricity boards established in Scotland which generated, transmitted and distributed electricity to customers.
1943 Company formed under Act of Parliament
1946 Proposed Hydro-Electric Scheme, South West of Beauly - see illustrations
1948 When the UK electricity supply industry was nationalised, the Board took over the assets of the Grampian Electricity Supply Co and other bodies producing electricity in the northern part of Scotland. A programme of development of hydro-electric resources began, to serve people in the North of Scotland
By 1965, 54 main power stations and 78 dams had been built, providing a total generating capacity of over 1,000 MW. Over 300 kilometres of rock tunnel had been excavated and a similar length of aqueducts and pipelines constructed. Over 37000 kilometres of electricity network was built to distribute the electricity throughout the north of Scotland, with a further 110 kilometres of submarine cable taking power to the major Scottish islands.