North Thames Gas Board
From Graces Guide
The North Thames Gas Board was a state-owned utility providing gas for light and heat to industries and homes in part of England. The Board's area included parts of the County of London, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Middlesex and Surrey. The Board was established on 1 May 1949.
The Board took over the following local authority and privately owned gas production and supply utilities:
- Ascot District Gas and Electricity Co (Only the gas operations were acquired: the electricity undertaking had become part of the Southern Electricity Board in 1948)
- Chertsey Gas Consumers' Co
- Commercial Gas Co
- Gas Light and Coke Co
- Hornsey Gas Co
- Lea Bridge District Gas Co
- North Middlesex Gas Co
- Romford Gas Co
- Slough Gas and Coke Co
- Southend-on-Sea County Borough Corporation
- Uxbridge, Maidenhead Wycombe and District Gas Co
- Windsor Royal Gaslight Co
1973 The board was dissolved when the business became a region of the British Gas Corporation.
Sources of Information
- Oxford Junior Encyclopaedia. Volume VIII. Engineering. Oxford University Press, 1955.