Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This entry refers to the steel and iron arch bridge which takes the A7 road over Edinburgh Waverley Station.
Built 1894–97 when the station was widened. Replaced a bridge built in the late 18th century to link the Old and New Towns. Three steel segmental arch spans of 175 ft, with outer facades of cast-iron. The engineers were Cunningham, Blyth and Westland of Edinburgh. Steel and ironwork contractor: Sir William Arrol and Co. The masonry subcontractors were William Beattie and Sons.. See also 'The Engineer', 19 January 1895.
The previous masonry bridge was built between 1763 and 1769 to the design of William Mylne. Shortly after completion a vault and side wall collapsed resulting in five deaths. Modifications were undertaken on the advice of John Smeaton, and the work was completed in 1772.
Note: The widening of the station also required the construction of the Waverley Bridge, at the west end of the station, described in 'The Engineer', 9 August 1895.