Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1835 July. The Newport Dock Act was given Royal Assent and the Newport Dock Company began construction work.
1842 The Town Dock on the east bank of the River Usk opened and continued in use until it was closed and filled in 1930. It was the first floating dock facility in Newport.
After its opening it was apparent the Town Dock was not sufficient to deal with the increasing trade. In July 1854 a second act was passed giving the Newport Dock Company permission to extend the Town Dock to the north. Work commenced in June 1856 and was completed in less than two years. The official opening was on 2 March 1858
1865 An act was passed to allow the construction of a second dock and in 1868 work began on the Alexandra Docks, which opened in 1875.
1892 The Alexandra Dock was extended with the addition of the South Dock with the original Alexandra Dock becoming known as the North Dock.
By 1900 the Town Dock was used primarily for the general import trade, particularly in timber. Its relatively small size and position further up the river estuary than the Alexandra Dock made the Town Dock particularly vulnerable.
1907 An extension to the Alexandra South Dock was opened.
1914 The Alexandra Dock was further expanded and a new South Lock (the Great Sea Lock) opened with direct access to the Severn Estuary.