Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,024 pages of information and 229,410 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A new Conway Bridge was constructed as replacement for the function of the suspension bridge built by Thomas Telford in 1826.
The new bridge was a single span of 310ft, carried on four steel arch ribs. Within an overall width between parapets of 31ft 6in, there is a single 22ft carriageway with a 7ft 6in footpath on the northern side. The foundations were built to allow for duplication of the superstructure for a second carriageway when required.
Mr. H. W. FitzSimons, M.l.C.E., was the consulting engineer during the design stage and up to the time of his death in 1956. He was succeeded by Messrs. C. W. Glover and Partners. Sir Percy Thomas was the consulting architect. The contract was carried out by Sir William Arrol and Co., Ltd. The iron castings were supplied by the Lion Foundry.
1958 The new bridge was opened