Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,769 pages of information and 213,810 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
New British Iron Co., of South Sea House, London EC
of Corngreaves Iron Works, Rowley Regis.
1843 On 2 November the assets of the British Iron Co were transferred to the New British Iron Company and the original company was closed down.
A few years later Hingleys also acquired Dudley Wood works.
1855 Honourable mention of British Iron Company in the "Mines and Metallurgy" class at the Great Exposition in Paris
By 1860 the company was struggling; iron production in Cradley Heath had begun to decline due to a number of factors - the local coal and mineral seams were being exhausted and the local iron industry had been taken over by competitors, not only from other parts of the Black Country where the coal seams were thicker, but also from further afield, for example the north east of England and South Wales.
1883 Incorporated as limited liability company
1887 Following the closure of Ruabon Ironworks, operations were confined to Brierley Hill and Corngreaves works. The company also had collieries in the area, including Acrefair, Plas Benion and Wynnstay (or the Green Pit). Following the withdrawal of the New British Iron Company from this district the collieries were taken over by the Wynnstay Collieries Company. The New British Iron Company went into voluntary liquidation
1890 Liquidation reversed.
c.1890 The Power House was fitted with a rotary converter, made by Thomas Parker Ltd
1899 the company went into liquidation and was put up for auction but there were no takers and the company was divided up. Some of the Blast Furnaces were bought by Mr Alfred Bassano, of Haden Cross, but they eventually closed for good in 1912.
In the mid-1950s the whole area was cleared when the Porters Field Industrial Estate was developed.
See Ruabon Ironworks