Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Nechells was the location of two gasworks, in Windsor Street and Nechells Place, and two coal-fired power stations situated on land now occupied by the Star City complex.
1915 Nechells temporary power station was opened
1923 Nechells Prince's station was opened by the Prince of Wales. Initial capacity of 75 megawatts was subsequently enlarged to 130 MW (in 1929?).
1954 A larger plant, known as Nechells "B", was opened in 1954.
A small railway network was used by both power stations for the transport of coal from the main line railway at Saltley and within the plant.