Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,767 pages of information and 196,539 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1796 Financial disagreements between the partners led to the closure of the Nantyglo Ironworks.
1802 The works restarted when Hill returned with different partners
1811 Matthew Wayne, one time finance manager for Richard Crawshay, became a partner with Joseph Bailey to purchase the iron-works at Nant-y-glo. Nant-y-glo had natural advantages but had been stopped for many years. The partners soon had the works restored. By the end of the year they were loading their pig-iron into barges on the Monmouthshire Canal.
1816 Even during this year, the year after the end of the Napoleonic wars when there was a general slump in iron manufacture, Nant-y-glo was the only iron-works which increased its production.
1820 Wayne retired from the partnership. Crawshay Bailey joined his brother Joseph in the partnership. The two brothers soon made Nant-y-glo one of the great iron-works of the kingdom.
1823 Five blast furnaces were in operation
1824 Nantyglo was producing 16,000 tons per annum
1826-7 Two more blast furnaces were added.
1833 Crawshay and Joseph Bailey acquired Beaufort Ironworks and used it to supply pig iron to the new rolling mills at Nantyglo.
1844 J and C Bailey were proprietors of Nant-y-glo Works
1845 Crawshay Bailey left his nephew in charge of the Nant-y-glo and Beaufort works.
By 1874 The out-of-date Nantyglo and Beaufort works had both been closed