Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 129,286 pages of information and 204,290 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Netherton Ironworks, Netherton, Dudley, Worcs.
1820 Company established by Noah Hingley making chains and cables.
1838 Hingley attempted to make anchors but he was not immediately successful. For the first few years no anchors weighing more than 20 cwt. were forged
1848 Thanks to the introduction of the Nasmyth hammer, forgings weighing 74 cwt. were successfully turned out, enabling production of larger-sized anchors, followed by the supply of complete outfits of anchor and chain.
1852 New British Iron Co sold Netherton works to Noah Hingley and Sons.
A few years later Hingleys also acquired Dudley Wood works.
1861 Employing 1,000 men and boys.
1866 Chain cables and anchors' proving establishment. 
1890 Boiler explosion at the works.
1890 The company was registered as a limited company on 9 September, to acquire the business of the firm of the same name.
1893 Purchased Manor Mines, Halesowen, from Viscount Cobham.
1905 Purchased surface and mines at Netherton from the Earl of Dudley
1907 Acquired G. Hartshorne and Co Marine Works, Netherton
1910 Exhibited the largest anchor (15.5 t) in the world at Engineering Exhibition in London.
1914 Ironmasters, Chain and Anchor Manufacturers. Production of South Staffordshire Wrought Iron Bars including "Marked Bars" and the "Netherton" Brand. Manufacture of large Cables and Anchors for all the leading Steamship Lines and Navies of the world.
1914 Acquired Samuel Taylor and Sons (Brierley Hill) Ltd
1917 Halesowen Brick and Tile Co was incorporated.
1922/3 Acquired Joseph Wright and Co
c.1926 Owned B. Perkins and Sons Ltd., Audnam Anchor Works, Stourbridge
1926 Acquired Henry Wood and Co, Ltd., Saltney.
1927 See Aberconway for information on the company and its history.
1927 Also see Aberconway for information on the company and its history.
1927 Owned Midland and Coast Canal Carriers, Ltd., Broad Street, Wolverhampton
1930 Owned H. P. Parkes and Co Ltd., Tipton
1932 Wye Foundry Co Ltd was incorporated
1946 Established Midland Research Co
1948 Public issue of shares. 24 subsidiary and sub-subsidiary companies. The business was engaged in:
1953 Acquired Thomas Perrins and Co
1955 Purchased John Bagnall and Sons from the Iron and Steel Holdings and Realisation Agency.
1960 Cyril Edward Lloyd retired from the board
1963 Death of Cyril Lloyd, age 86, who been joined the company more than 50 years before and had risen to be chairman. He was a descendant of the Lloyds banking family, and also contributed his experience in later life to F. H. Lloyd and Co which was run by relatives.
1964 Some parts of the business were trading satisfactorily but the Samuel Taylor subsidiary was making serious losses; almost all of the chain making activities would be concentrated in a reconstituted company. Transferred the general engineering and marine deck equipment activities of R. C. Gibbins and Co and Welin-Maclachlan Davits to the Grazebrook Group. The main subsidiaries were:
1970/71 F. H. Lloyd was reconstructed as a holding company; Hingley's (renamed F. H. Lloyd?) became one of its principal subsidiaries through which various of the old Hingley subsidiaries (and some other businesses) were controlled.