Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,120 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Redhill, Surrey
1946 Philips had its main research facility at Eindhoven in the Netherlands. In November it set up an English laboratory, the Mullard Electronic Research Laboratory (MERL), in Redhill, Surrey, under Dr Christopher Bareford.
1948 An existing Mullard laboratory, the Vacuum Physics Laboratory (VPL) under George Knott, was moved from Mitcham to Redhill and linked with Dr Bareford’s laboratory. The two laboratories operated under a joint management structure
1955 The management of the 2 labs was unified.
1956 Mullard opened its Southampton factory specifically to produce semiconductor devices, marking the end of interest in vacuum physics. The Redhill lab was renamed Mullard Research Laboratories (MRL).
1953 Peter Trier became Director.
1969 Kurt Hoselitz took over as Director. The laboratory employed 600 staff on fundamental and applied research on behalf of Philips and its customers including government departments
1976 Norman Goddard appointed Director.
1977 the name of Mullard Research Laboratories name was changed to the Philips Research Laboratories.