Motor Rail of Bedford is a British locomotive-building company
Formed in 1911 by John Abbott as The Motor Rail & Tramcar Co Ltd, they built petrol and diesel engined locomotives, mainly narrow gauge.
WWI Over 900 locos were supplied for use on temporary military supply railways.
1931 Name changed.
1951 Public flotation of shares in the company; maker of "Simplex" diesel locomotives and "Motor Rail" diesel dumpers. Subsidiaries: Petrol Loco Hirers Ltd, and Diesel Loco Hirers Ltd but these were not trading
1961 Manufacturers of Simplex diesel locomotives and Motor Rail diesel dumpers. 160 employees. 
1968 Acquired Low Trading Trailer
1968 Won the Queen's Award for Export
1969 Made a trading loss but sold subsidiary Bedford Crane and Plant Hire and the premises of Low Trading Trailer in Bedford
1971 Was a subsidiary of Loco Handling
1972 The operating company was renamed Simplex Mechanical Handling, a subsidiary of Motor Rail which became the holding company
1976 Sales of Simplex Mechanical Handling and of John Street (Manufacturers) were agreed
1976 The company was put into receivership together with its subsidiary Keland Ltd of Blaydon on Tyne; a new company Keland Electrics was established by the National Enterprise Board to acquire the manufacturing and certain other assets of Keland
1987 loco manufacture ceased, business being transferred to Alan Keef of Ross-on-Wye, who continue to provide spares and have built several locos to Motor Rail designs.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Jul 25, 1951
- The Times Jul 30, 1951
- 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE
- The Times, Apr 24, 1968
- The Times, Aug 13, 1969
- The Times, Aug 07, 1971
- The Times, May 18, 1972
- The Times, Aug 30, 1972
- The Times, Dec 14, 1972
- The Times, Feb 04, 1976
- The Times, Feb 08, 1977
-  Wikipedia