Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,776 pages of information and 213,825 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Morpeth Dock is a dock at Birkenhead, Wirral Peninsula.
Built between 1844 and 1847, it also included a smaller branch dock to the east. It is named after Lord Morpeth, the 7th Earl of Carlisle, who was the First Commissioner of Woods and Forests.
Originally, the dock connected directly to the River Mersey via locks, although the entrance channel has since been partially in-filled and the locks removed after being disused for some years. Access to the Great Float via Egerton Dock has also been removed, making both docks effectively landlocked.
Morpeth Dock was used by GWR as the Birkenhead end of cross-river traffic to the Manchester Dock.
Part of the dock and its former branch were filled in to provide a site for a water treatment plant