Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,318 pages of information and 230,731 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Burslem, Staffs. (1922)
Ditto Address. Telephone: 2423. Cables: "Moorcroft, Burslem". (1929)
Ditto Address. (1947)
1897 Originally founded as a studio within a large ceramic company, James Macintyre and Co, Moorcroft pottery soon made its mark on the world. Designs came from 24 year old William Moorcroft who personalised each piece of pottery produced with his own signature or initials.
1904 Moorcroft won a gold medal at the St. Louis International Exhibition and followed up the achievement with further medals and commendations, culminating in the appointment of the Moorcroft company as Potter to HM The Queen in 1928.
1912 This did little for James Mcintyre’s name and reputation, and the inevitable split occurred. William marched his workforce across Cobridge Park to a new factory in Sandbach Road where Moorcroft pottery is still made today. Money came from Liberty, the famous London store' Liberty continued to control Moorcroft until 1962.
1922 British Industries Fair Advert for Moorcroft Pottery (Registered Trade Mark). The Daily Telegraph: 'Moorcroft Ware arrests attention by its beauty of design and delicacy of finish...' Each piece signed. (Stand No. G.19) 
1929 British Industries Fair Adverts as 'Potters to Her Majesty the Queen' and for Moorcroft Powder Blue China. Manufacturers of Moorcroft Pottery, entirely created on the Potter's Wheel. Inexpensive Moorcroft Pottery for Household use. Makers of fine specimens of Moorcroft Pottery for the Furnishing of the House. Each piece is virtually a collector's piece. (Pottery Section - Stand No. G.47) 
1945 On the death of William Moorcroft, his elder son, Walter, took over management and design.
1947 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Exhibiting Member of the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation of Federation House, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Composite Exhibit. (Pottery and Glassware Section) 
1962 The Moorcroft family bought out Liberty, but Moorcroft seldom prospered.
1984 Finally, the family sold the bulk of their shares. The firm was acquired by the Roper brothers of Churchill China.
By 1986, attempts to move this small art pottery into mass production had failed - the firm faced liquidation.
Hugh Edwards, a London lawyer, together with Richard Dennis and their wives then stepped in to save the firm. They appointed John Moorcroft as managing director to act as an ambassador for the company and boosted annual turnover from around £245,000.
1992 Hugh Edwards became chairman
1993 Rachel Bishop was appointed as the new designer.