Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1827 Constructed by George Leather, crossing the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and the River Aire. It consisted of a suspension arch over the river, an elliptical arch over the canal and two land arches over the footpaths.
By the 1880s the bridge could no longer cope with the increasing volume of traffic and a new bridge was built by the Leeds Corporation. This was designed by Thomas Hewson, the Borough Engineer, and was of cast iron lattice girder construction, with a span of 109ft. Rows of cast iron owls lined the parapet, and the Leeds coat of arms was carved on the stone pillars either side of the bridge. The bridge over the canal was also replaced with a cast iron structure, with the Leeds coat of arms cast into the ironwork.